home about me home tour consultations testimonials contact

Wednesday, May 9, 2012

How to create cohesive spaces

It seems that there are many home builders who are building open floor plans these days. My own home is very open and I'm personally a big fan. Sometimes, though, having an open floor plan makes it difficult to define your spaces and still have a cohesive look.

With that in mind, I put together a handful of tips aimed at making this task a little easier.


Tip #1: Rugs don't have to match.
Tip #2: If you decide on a 'busy' rug for one space, try a neutral rug in the other space.
Tip #3: Paint all open areas the same color. This takes the guess work out of deciding where to start and stop different colors.


Tip #4: Pull one or two colors from the 'busy' rug and choose accessories in these colors.
Tip #4: Partner the above colors with a neutral.
Tip #5: Repeat your accessory colors in both rooms. The colors don't have to be exact, just from the same family.

Like these looks and curious about sources? Don't fret friends, here are the details.
Love rugCosmo rug/TaupeKhaki ChevronMulti Overdyed Rug
Paint colors are Benjamin Moore:
First image (L to R): Chambourd, Anjou Pear, Weimeraner, Agave, Caliente, Thunder
Second Image (L to R): Smoked Salmon, Almond Bisque, High Park, North Sea, Rumba Orange

If you'd like help creating a space you can't wait to come home to, contact me about design services.

**Hallmark giveaway winner is Deb K. Congratulations and thank you to all who entered!**

5 comments:

pam {simple details} said...

I could find a spot for that fabulous chevron rug, it would be perfect in myopen floor plan! Great tips, friend!

Katie {Miss Dixie} said...

I have an open floor plan and I always struggle with this! Painting the whole thing is my next step, much to my husbands dismay!!

Lisa @ Shine Your Light said...

I love the khaki chevron too! I am desperate need of rugs for my living room and dining room that are open to each other; thanks for the tips on how to make the spaces cohesive, Dana!

Holly Gruszka said...

Great tips! I agree with you that a lot of new homes have an open floor plan and I think people get really overwhelmed when it comes to "what to do" with the space and where to start - this is a great starting point.

Diana @ Your Day Simplified said...

What great tips for trying to get an open floor plan to look cohesive! Any idea where I can get that Chevron rug? It would certainly help in my open floor plan.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blogging tips