RAK Challenge #19: Prepare a meal for someone in need.
Take a second to think of a person in your life who needs a little break. It might be an expecting mom, a friend struggling with an illness or maybe just someone who seems overly stressed. It doesn't necessarily have to be someone with something major happening in their life. I don't have anything major going on and I'd welcome any meal that I didn't have to prepare! Just having that simple daily task off my plate would make me smile.
So, in hopes that you guys will embrace this challenge, I'm going to make it simple and give you the menu!
This is my go-to menu because it's not time-consuming yet it's still tasty.
Ham and Swiss StromboliPin It
|Taste of Home|
- Prep: 15 min. Bake: 30 min.
- Yield: 6-8 Servings
- 1 tube (11 ounces) refrigerated crusty French loaf
- 6 ounces thinly sliced deli ham
- 6 green onions, sliced
- 8 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
- Unroll dough into a rectangle on a greased baking sheet. Place ham over dough to within 1/2 in. of edges; sprinkle with onions, bacon and cheese. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side. Pinch seam to seal and tuck ends under. Place seam side down on baking sheet.
- With a sharp knife, cut several 1/4-in.-deep slits on top of loaf. Bake at 350° for 26-30 minutes or until golden brown. Cool slightly before slicing. Serve warm. Yield: 8 servings.
I've varied this recipe with numerous different ingredients. I often like to take two, one ham and one turkey. Green chilies are a great add-in with turkey.
My plan of attack: Prepare the stromboli and wrap it in foil. I typically deliver it uncooked and add a little note with cooking directions. This way my friends can pop it in the oven when they're ready or even freeze it for a later date. I purchase a bag of chips, a bag of salad then make a plate of cookies and/or brownies to make the meal complete.
At this point I hope you have your recipient in mind! Now it's off to the store you go. Just think about the joy you're about to spread in the life of another person...all because you took a little time to be kind!