home about me home tour consultations testimonials contact

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Exercise, Kids and Decor...Do they mix?

Last year I did something really fun with my kids on Thanksgiving morning. We went for a nature walk. We were armed with scissors, a bag and a mission. Their mission was to find things that are interesting that could be used to create the centerpiece for our Thanksgiving table.

I was giving myself a little pat on the back as I realized they were getting in a little exercise before hitting the yummy desserts. Also, you should have seen their little faces as they realized they contributed to making something that got lots of ooohs and ahhhs!

I piggybacked on this idea, just recently, as I sought out their help to decorate our living room.

My workers in action...



Yes, it is November and my daughter's wearing a tank top. That's how we roll in Texas. We cross our fingers and pray for chilly weather on Thanksgiving day so it actually feels like fall. Doesn't look like we're going to have such luck this year.

We used a mason jar to arrange their findings. The yellow berries made for great vase filler and brought in a splash of color.


daytime look

nighttime look

So, tomorrow morning when your hovering over the stove, send your kids out to find treasures in the yard. Then help them realize just how awesome they are and that they can make pretty decorations too!

**Gift certificates available for design services. Add it to your Christmas wish list!** Contact me.

3 comments:

pam {simple details} said...

Wow! It's beautiful, what a great job they did, I think they've been paying attention to you!

Love the puppy in the background, is he licking the sofa? That cracked me up!

Enjoy the day!

Holly Gruszka said...

Awesome idea! You are always continuing to inspire. A very Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family Dana!

Carly {a simple affair} said...

What a wonderful idea! It looks stunning! Love that you used what they found, and now every time they see it, they'll be reminded that they helped!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blogging tips